Monday, March 1, 2010

"A Redhead Saving Redheads"- How it all began


Growing up in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney with an uncle who had a travelling dog and monkey show: Gold Coast resident Tracey Courtney ( me) fell in love with primates and their personalities....

"Coco the chimpanzee was the star of the show and made a family member. Coco roamed the house, helped himself to the Coco Pops in the pantry (hence his nickname)"Coco!". He also joined the boys at the Centennial Hotel in Woollahra for an afternoon beer and a cigarette! That began my love affair with monkeys and their relatives orangutans.
After watching a disturbing documentary on Orangutans and their plight in Indonesia over 4 years ago, I cried my eyes out.! I could not believe what was going on as I like most people had no idea! 5 football fields a minute of pristine rainforest destroyed and logged.The lives of Orangutans, Elephants and Sumatran Tigers threatened and extinction imminent.


Phone a Friend
I then rang a friend and said.. "I have to do something about this tragic situation and give the Orangutans a voice on the Gold Coast!" we talked about it at length and decided that people need to be educated and informed about this atrocity.. all because we consume potato chips, soaps, chocolates, biscuits and cosmetics containing Palm oil!!! Products that contain Palm Oil and the manufacturers that supply them are the curse!


Finding a Lifeline




I scoured the net found an Australian Organisation protecting and saving Orangutans and their habitat and she has been unstoppable ever since. Rainforest Rescue are a well regarded non-profit organisation, who tirelessly protect and save rainforest and its ecosystem in Daintree, Sumatra, India and Ecuador.
So impressed am I with the work Rainforest Rescue are doing I decided I would give funds raised to their projects.


The Orangutan Adventure Trek

Tracey is about to embark on "The Orangutan Adventure Trek" with 13 others, to fulfill a lifetime dream and raise ongoing funds. "I will be trekking in the Sumatran Jungle for 4 days 6 hours a day. When I spot my first Orangutan I think I will be so moved by their awesome prescence..... I will definitely cry!!

We are camping by the Bohok River in tents for 4 nights and I was told we have to urinate in the river..... the reason being.. tigers can smell it and are then attracted!!! YIPES!!!!

We then visit the rehabilitaion program set up by Rainforest Rescue, for the local people, creating an economy based on conservation.
Our project is employing local people to restore land and protect forest.
Conservation is the answer.
National Parks are being logged and cleared.. corruption is the major problem.


Caught On Film
On her return from Sumatra, Tracey (a redhead herself) will be holding Film Night fundraisers around the Gold Coast, Sunshine coast and Northern NSW area.
Look for the Blog entries in March 2010 that will give you all the details 


My legacy is to leave this planet knowing that I assisted saving a rainforest and an Orangutans life.



Tracey can be contacted at tracey@rainforestrescue.org.au or leave a comment here and have your say

With love
Tracey
'The Redhead'

1 comment:

  1. Please let me know when and where you will be screening this on the Gold Coast!

    ReplyDelete